With GoPros, selfie sticks and videos becoming all the rage in the digital world, you may have heard of the term ‘gimbal’. As a videographer, you will encounter a gimbal sooner or later in your career. But no matter how experienced you are as a videographer, mastering the art of using a gimbal can be extremely beneficial to you.
A gimbal is a kind of support for your camera which allows it to move on an axis, while also according it stability so your image does not shake. The following are some of the best gimbals available in the market that you can consider using for your next event.
Beholder DS1 3-Axis Handheld Gimbal
This is a small device but can do wonders for your wedding videography skills. The stabilizer will provide your camera with incredible balance so that even the slightest movement is suppressed and absorbed. This handheld gimbal has a 3-axis stabilisation, with external remote control, dual sensors, faster response and a lot more. It is compatible with a range of cameras. The following are some of its most enduring features:
- The gimbal has a payload of 3.8 pounds (1,700g). There is more than enough room for the camera’s LCD monitor and a micro USB for wired remote control.
- There is a 5-way joystick that is built-in, which offers you greater control over your pan and tilt shots.
- The gimbal is compatible with Canon 6D/5D/7D/GX7, Sony A7 series, Panasonic GH4/G7/DMC series, Nikon D810/ D800, BMPCC, etc.
- There is a 32-bit controller which has dual IMU sensors, enabling control for multiple modes.
- The gimbal is pre-programmed and can be used as soon as it arrives. You can place the camera however you like and also create continuous shots using the remote control.
- An extendable rod can convert this gimbal into a slider or a dolly, allowing you to take jib shots, time lapses, etc.
The product is available on Amazon.co.uk at £439.00.
Zhiyun Crane V2 Handheld Gimbal
The Zhiyun Crane V2 offers four different gimbal control modes — lock, following, pan and selfie. You can get a 30-degree rotation stability so you can capture the mood of the entire wedding party in one dynamic shot, without any shakes. The aluminium-alloy frame makes it resilient and lightweight at the same time. The two lithium-ion batteries will give you around 12-18 hours of shooting time with a single charge. The brushless motors also ensure that the gimbal does its work quietly, without creating any background noise that could hamper your video. The team members at The Perfect Wedding Video have used this gimbal at many weddings and many events, and it has proven time and time again to produce excellent looking footage! The following are some of its most enduring features:
- The focus handwheel can control the lens focus in real time.
- The battery has a run time of 18 hours, with a 6,000mAh capacity. So you can shoot the whole day without worrying that the device will run out of juice.
- The Crane V2 also allows real-time charging to the camera, reducing the number of times you may need to replace the battery.
- The gimbal supports cameras weighing 1.1 lb to 7 lbs, like the Canon EOS Series, the Panasonic LUMIX Series, the Sony ILCE Series and the Nikon D Series.
The product is available on Amazon.co.uk for £519.00.
Moza Lite 2 Premium Gimbal
This compact and immensely lightweight gimbal is also technologically advanced like few others. It uses advanced FOC algorithms that helps track the movement of your camera and ensures a stable and smooth image capture. It is easy to use, so you do not have to waste time trying to fix it. Besides, it weighs less than five pounds so you can carry it around easily. With its intelligent battery, you can get up to eight hours of solid work done. The following are some of the features that work in its favour:
- Weighing 4.8 lbs (2.2 kgs), this supremely lightweight gimbal has a payload of 11 lbs (5 kgs).
- It is compatible with a range of cameras, mirrorless DSLRs and professional cinema cameras. Some of them include Sony a7s, Panasonic GH4, Canon 5D Mark III, Canon 1DX, BMPC, ALEXA Mini, etc.
- The device has an intelligent battery system which prevents over-depletion, with battery life going up to eight hours.
- There is also a wireless thumb controller that you can use by downloading the Moza Assistant App.
The product is available on Amazon.co.uk for £1,044.00.
EVO GP3 Gimbal
With its 3-axis precision, the EVO GP3 gimbal enables you to shoot incredible, high-quality footage with an action camera like GoPro. It is extremely easy to set up, so you can literally use it right out of the box, without worrying about configuration. There is a built-in charging cable for GoPro cameras. This gimbal is great for shooting energetic wedding parties and celebrations as it will get the vibe right. The following are some of the product’s enduring features:
- Shoot professional quality videos with action cameras like GoPro, using this gimbal’s 3-axis precision.
- The device supports a variety of action cameras, including GoPro Hero5 Black, Garmin Virb Ultra 30, SJCAM 4000-7000, not to mention the GoPro Hero 3, Hero 3+ and Hero4 Black/Silver models as well.
- The gimbal comes along with a charger, USB charge cable, camera charging cables and lithium-ion batteries.
While action cameras are typically used in outdoor, adventure settings, they can bring a new element to wedding videography too. The fervour, festive mood and energy of a wedding party is something that an action camera may well be suited to capture. This gimbal is perfect for enabling the camera to do so.
The product is available on Amazon.co.uk at £154.57.
Gimbals are the perfect way to give your camera the stability it needs at a high-energy wedding party. There are going to be several ceremonies, people dancing, the bouquet being thrown, etc., that you, as the wedding videographer, will need to capture with clarity. The gimbal will allow you to get a smooth capture will also giving you the ability to manoeuvre with ease, without the fear of shaking your shots. So if you are out in the market for gimbals, consider these four and see if they fit your requirements.